Christmas Island is a rocky outpost located 2600km North East of Perth and 450km South of Jakarta. Resting on the precipice of the Java Trench, the Island is surrounded by jagged cliffs, punctuated by coral beaches, feeding on to tropical reefs teeming with marine life.
The multi-levelled terraces around the island host various terrestrial and avian fauna and flora.
Christmas Island has over 90 different species of crabs, some obvious like the Christmas Island Red Crab and the Robber Crab, others far more elusive.
The bird life on Christmas Island cannot be missed. Birds are everywhere – all the time! Christmas Island boasts one of the most beautiful birds on the planet – the golden morph of the White-tailed Tropicbird, or Golden Bosun. Their mesmerising aerial acrobatics and distinctive call can be heard all around the island.
Our proximity to South East Asia makes us an appealing stop for migratory and vagrant birds species, with new sightings being recorded annually.
Many other species, easily viewed, make Christmas Island a birdwatchers paradise. Our birds are very appealing to experienced and amateur bird photographers – their lack of fear allows an up close experience to get that all- important memorable shot, roosting, resting or in flight.
To support this varied and abundant life, the jagged inland terraces and ocean cliffs supply a foothold for the Jurassic style rainforest, filled with fauna, telling the story of how the island developed over the millennia.
A uniquely multicultural community adds colour and flavour to this Australian outpost on the edge of South East Asia.
Top Ten Things To Do on Christmas Island
- Count Red Crabs – 50 million to count
- Dive some of the longest drop-offs on the planet
- Snorkel over the shallow coral gardens at Flying Fish Cove
- Watch the endemic Golden Bosun soar on the updrafts from Territory Day Park
- Find the islands’ 18 temples, including those deep in the jungle
- Relax in the natural spa at Dolly Beach
- Find the “dragon” and listen to him roar in the Grotto
- Be amazed by the spectacular power of the Blowholes
- Walk through “middle earth” on the way to Dales Waterfall
- Play a round of golf on one of Australia’s most unique golf courses.
Christmas Island Map
Click for a larger view
Would You Like More Information?
Contact our team by filling out our contact form or call our team on the below contact details.